Skincare can be complicated. If you are anything like I was, you probably get overwhelmed when deciding what your regimen should be. There are such a variety of treatments and products on the market, it’s hard to know what you really need, and what will actually be beneficial for your skin type.
Most people know that they need to start taking care of their skin, but don’t even know where to start. Before I came into the Beauty Industry, I had no idea what to do with my skin. Obviously I knew the basics, like washing my face every day, using a good moisturizer, and wearing sunscreen when I went to the pool, but I didn’t have a clue what else I could do to keep my skin looking young and healthy.
If you feel this way too, don’t worry, there are MANY other people who feel the same way.
As a Medical Spa in Utah County, we realize that how you take care of your skin now is extremely important. In order to keep your skin as youthful as possible, you need to take extra special care to prevent for the future.
This is why we have put together a list of 5 basic skincare tips that everyone can benefit from. This is a go-to list for all those out there who don’t know where to start, but want to start taking care of their skin and prevent for the future.
1. Medical Grade Products. In order to get good results from a skincare product, treatment needs to be directed toward deeper layers of the skin. Over-the-counter products can only work on the epidermis (the outer layer of skin) where the skin cells are starting to shed. Medical Grade Skincare products can actually penetrate into deeper layers of the skin. These products work all the way down to the dermis (middle layer of skin) where the elastin and collagen are contained, as well as the basal (bottom layer of skin) where new cells are produced.
2. Consistency. No matter what skincare products you are using, you will never see results unless you are consistent. This means you need to use the same products everyday, for at least 6 weeks. Don’t switch out any products, add something new, stop using something in the middle, or skip days. It takes at least 30 days for your skin cells to renew, so it will take at least that long in order to see results.
3. Protection from the sun. We now know that the sun is extremely detrimental to the skin. Those who baked in the sun in their youth, will have many more fine lines, wrinkles, sun spots, etc. In order to protect yourself from the sun, you should wear a sunscreen EVERYDAY. Having sunscreen in your makeup or moisturizer is not enough. We recommend Skin Medica’s SPF 30 Daily Sunscreen. In addition to sunscreen, it’s also important to use a good Antioxident. Antioxidents protect your skin from the inside out, giving you much more protection than only a sunscreen would. The more protection you have, the better your skin will look! We recommend SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic.
4. Exfolation. Many women complain that their skin looks dull. That is because the cells on top layer of their skin are actually dead. In order to have a bright, vibrant complexion, you need to make sure you exfoliate. We LOVE the Clarisonic Pro for exfoliating, which is actually safe to use every day. In conjunction with the Clarisonic, we also recommend using a good Retinol. Retinol is a product that stimulates cell production, which will help sluff off the old dead cells, and bring newer cells to the surface. This will give you brighter, glowing skin. We recommend SkinCeuticals 0.5 Retinol.
5. Good Makeup. The Makeup you wear every day is also very important to the health of your skin. There are many makeup lines out there that look nice on your skin, but actually clog your pores, and have chemicals that can cause irritation. We recommend using a good mineral makeup, like Jane Iredale or Color Science. These products don’t have harsh chemicals or toxins, so they will help prevent breakouts, clogged pores, and dull skin tone.
For more information about skincare treatments or products, give us a call at 801-229.2229.